You are here
All About Bikes
Custom Search 1
All About Bikes
For many of us it’s hard to think about our childhoods without thinking of our first bicycle, or learning to ride without training wheels or maybe even trips around the neighborhood with friends. Now that the weather is getting warmer and we look for activities to get us outside, look no further than your favorite memories. Although nostalgia might be the easy route, today biking means so much more. Bike Walk KC is a local member supported nonprofit organization that works to make Greater Kansas City a safer and more accessible place to walk, bicycle, live, work, and play. Their mission is to redefine the streets of Kansas City as places for people to build a culture of active living.
Bike Walk KC is a partner of Rodgers Health and even worked with us over the summer for a youth education program that not only allowed young riders to earn a bike and helmet, but taught important safety and training skills as well. Bike Walk KC also provides community members with the training and needed to use your bike as your primary means of transportation while advocating for better neighborhood connectivity for commuters.
While biking can be a fun recreational activity or your go to for transportation, it’s also great for your health.
- Low impact – it causes less strain and injuries than most other forms of exercise.
- A good muscle workout – cycling uses all of the major muscle groups as you pedal.
- Easy – unlike some other sports, cycling does not require high levels of physical skill. Most people know how to ride a bike and, once you learn, you don’t forget.
- Good for strength and stamina – cycling increases stamina, strength and aerobic fitness.
- As intense as you want – cycling can be done at very low intensity to begin with, if recovering from injury or illness, but can be built up to a demanding physical workout.
If you would like to learn more about Bike Walk KC and the programs they offer for adults and youth please visit their website http://bikewalkkc.org/